What are the odds of an emergency or a natural disaster happening?? Do you have the skills & knowledge to perform C.P.R and administer 1stAid should you be called upon? Are you prepared for an earthquake, tsunami or wildfire? If you answered no to any one of these questions, then read up.
Susan M. Gilmore, Certified C.P.R/1st Aid Instructor with the American Heart Association, will speak about preparing your families for such emergencies at the upcoming It Takes a Village Parenting Conference, May 4, 2013 in Encinitas, California. For more information on the Village Conference, click here.
Gilmore’s company, Little Hearts, provides Parental Education & Unique Child Care throughout San Diego. They offer C.P.R Courses geared towards families with infants and children as well as tips to prepare families in the event of an emergency. Whether it be a cardiac or choking emergency or Natural Disaster, Little Hearts will educate you in all areas of family preparedness.
We asked Gilmore, to compile the top 5 things she felt were absolute must-haves that families should have in case of emergencies.
Top 5 Safety Items All Parents Should Have in Case of Emergency
- C.P.R/1st Aid Training: Being trained in C.P.R/1st Aid will prepare you to stay calm and administer help until E.M.S arrives. Emergencies occur in our homes, on planes, on the streets of your town. Be prepared, not only for you & your families sake but for those whom we meet in their time of need.
- Family Emergency Plan: Creating an emergency plan will give all family members a sense of security & calm in the middle of chaos. Earthquakes, Wild Fires, Terrorists Attacks, and Tsunami’s give no warnings! Have a completed Family Emergency Plan. Schedule a family meeting and discuss the plan. Ensure that all members of the family have a copy and are clear as to evacuation routes, meeting places, and have local & out of town contact information.
- 9-1-1: Sit down with young children and practice dialing 9-1-1 and your phone number. Make sure to educate even young children on your Family Emergency Plan and where your designated emergency meeting place is.
- Grab & Go Emergency Back Backs: Have an Emergency Back Pack at the ready, by your front door or in your vehicle. This back pack should carry a 1st Aid kit, enough food/water to last your family a couple of days, your family emergency checklist/plan and other comfort items for each family member. Include clothes/pictures/children’s blankets or lovies and any other items which will bring peace to you during this difficult time.
- Smoke Alarm/Carbon Monoxide Detector: Make sure that your home is equipped with working Smoke Alarms/Carbon Monoxide Detectors. Replace batteries twice a year, daylight savings time is a good reminder. Contact your local Fire Department for information/installation.
How many of these can you check off your list? Make sure you’ve got all your bases covered– Your family’s safety depends on it!
For the opportunity to hear Susan Gilmore present on such an important topic, visit the Village Conference website to purchase a ticket.
In addition to family preparedness classes, Little Hearts offers Redirecting Your Child’s Behavior Courses (RCB). Little Hearts believes in creating a home life which is filled with peace and love, where parents & children alike feel empowered to make healthy choices. We speak in a loving & safe environment about our parenting styles and ways to shift our thought process through loving guidance rather than ineffective punishment.
Little Hearts also offers Unique Child Care. We offer Drop In Child Care & Date Night/Parents Night Out. Drop In Child Care is offered week day mornings, 2 hours per day. Date Night/Parents Night Out are offered Saturday Evenings. Each Service is a way to have a bit of time to yourself & to reconnect with your partner/family/friends. In addition, we contract with a “Driver” for Date Nights. Our driver scoots around town on a collapsible motorized bike which fits into the truck of your car. He’ll drive your family home safely in your personal vehicle. Our Unique Child Care is offered in Downtown Encinitas/Leucadia.
760.402.9697/ email@example.com/ litteheartssd.com/ littleheartssd.eventbright.com